We are looking for a Java Developer with experience in building high-performing, scalable, enterprise-grade applications to join our team. You will use various methods to retrieve data from external systems, apply methods to clean it and transform it into useful data systems. You should have strong analytical skills and the ability to combine data from different sources. If you are detail-oriented, with excellent organizational skills and experience in this field, we’d like to hear from you.
About the job
OpenAIRE AMKE is a non-profit company operating as a service provider for the European research setting for at least 10 years. OpenAIRE is seeking a Java Developer with experience in building high-performing, scalable, enterprise-grade applications.
The OpenAIRE service infrastructure sits on a big data cluster where more than 500Mi records and close to 15Mi full-texts are collected, processed, and made accessible relying on cutting-edge data wrangling technologies and methods to build a knowledge graph known as the OpenAIRE Research Graph.
You will need to target the following metadata aggregation challenges, contributing to the development, testing, operation, and troubleshooting of the existing infrastructure:
- Ensuring smooth collection (aka harvesting) of metadata records from scholarly communication data sources, via different protocols and periodic, automated workflows;
- Ensuring that up-to-date metadata transformations take place for different data sources, taking into account general-purpose assumptions and data source-specific conditions;
- Provide helpdesk technical support to data sources willing to provide their metadata to the OpenAIRE Graph according to the OpenAIRE guidelines;
- Contribute to the definition and up-to-dateness of the OpenAIRE Guidelines.
Responsibilities regard activities in the data aggregation process and will include
Identify data aggregation solutions to that optimize performance, reduce the time to deliver the production data, and simplify data interpretation and consumption by customers
Write well designed, testable, efficient code while ensuring designs are in compliance with specifications of the Graph model, the OpenAIRE portals, and APIs
Develop and use tools to verify and monitor the data aggregation process is delivered according to expected quality standards
Prepare and produce releases of software components
Support continuous improvement by investigating open problems and proposing alternative solutions
- Proven working experience in Java development
- Hands-on experience in designing and developing applications using Java EE platforms
- Object-Oriented Analysis and design using common design patterns.
- Good understanding of Relational Databases, SQL and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate)
- Good Knowledge of XML / XPATH / XSLT / XQUERY
- Proven experience with management of software projects using Maven and Version Control System (e.g., Git)
- Three years of experience in systems engineer work
- Latest IT Developer qualifications
- Masters degree or equivalent in computer science
- Strong data management knowledge
Fluent written and spoken English language
- Good knowledge of the architecture/commands of Unix-like systems
- Good knowledge of TCP/IP network (TCP, UDP, IPv4, IPv6, DNS)
- Proven experience with management of software projects using Maven and Version Control System (e.g., Git).
Terms of employment
- The position is offered for a period of two-years as an associate (in consultancy terms). It is renewable upon satisfactory performance.
- This will be a full-time or part-time position.
- Even though OpenAIRE offices are located in Athens, selected candidates will join forces with the OpenAIRE team located in Pisa, at Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, or in Athens, at Athena Research Center, but can carry out their activities mainly from remote.
- Candidates should be available for travelling to meet with the technical team in Europe, up to 6 times per year, on request of the technical coordination (paid travel).
- Depending on the skills, experience and country of residence, salaries may range from 42.000 EUR to 56.000 EUR (see the minimum and favored requirements). The salary is intended to be gross, i.e. taxes, insurance, etc. are included, as well as expenses to travel to Pisa or Athens if working remotely.
Dates and deadlines
- Job submission deadline: July 20, 2022.
- Expected starting date: Sept/Oct 2022
How to apply
OpenAIRE is a non-profit organisation (working from 2008, but establlished as a legal entity in 2018 with 47 members from 34 countries) operating an open scholalry communication infrastructure in Europe. Our services are used by resarchers and actors in the R&I ecosystem around the world.
OpenAIRE is based in Athens but operates a virtual office of 10 people, a network of 34 Open Science experts placed in every European country, and a technical team consisting of 30+ developers and engineers in Pisa (Italy), Athens (Greece), Warsaw (Poland), Bielefeld (Germany), Geneva (Switzerland), Minho (Portugal).